Inspired by the fact that this year Columbus Day has landed on Sunday,
which is the day that I work on my Family History (oh and the day of the
week that Columbus confirmed that land had been sighted), I'd like to
reflect upon my genealogical connections with the "encounters" between
the Old and the New world:
I am a descendant of a Mayflower passenger. Perhaps this fact should give
me some sort of patriotic pride but my ancestor, John Billington, didn't do
much in his life to inspire pride.
That's right, I am a descendant of the first Englishman to be executed for murder
in the New World.
I'm sure it was all hearsay and gossip that brought him to justice but I am
willing to admit that his status as the "knave" of the Mayflower group may
have some truth to it. And so, during Thanksgiving when someone makes
a toast to the Pilgrims who made their harrowing journey across the Atlantic
in search of religious freedom, I will toast John Billington and his family
who hopped the Big Pond in search of an escape from creditors.
By the way, I'm connected to Mr. Billington through my dad's side of the family.
Here's to Columbus and to you Great-great...grandpa!:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Hey Mac, how's that genealogy coming? Are you going to hand it over soon? Is is something I can help with ? Because I'd love to. Chau!
Genealogy mac is doing it da da da da da da. No really, that is so interesting. Keep up the good work. I heard your little kiddos are sick. I hope they get feeling better. Love ya.
Mac,
I hope this is on the Wilson side. Wouldn't want to sully the Ferrin or Mayhew name. Love, Mom
I'm glad that you guys (my siblings) are finding all this interesting geneology stuff out for me, so I don't have to do the research.
Post a Comment