Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Photoblog: Storm King

Here below you will find my pictures of some of the Storm King Art Center in the Hudson Valley in New York. Yes, I like to take pictures and many of them have a similar aesthetic. And yes, I like trees and every once in a while I like symmetry. Please feel free to comment on which one(s) you like best (if you like them at all). 

1. Red Oak Silhouette 

2. Impression #1

3. Frame

4. WilloLili (this was her idea)

5. Autumn Hue

6. The Shore (picture of outer part of Maya Lin's "Storm King Wavefields")

7. Modern America(na) #1 (picture of Alyson Shotz's "Mirror Fence")

8. Shadow Replacement

9. Modern America(na) #2

10. Life Size (picture of Mark di Suvero's "Pyramidian")

11. Zen Hitchhiker (picture of Zhang Guan's "Three Legged Buddha")

12. Yoga

13. Sage Advice

14. American Sycamore

15. Impression #2

16. Oniric #1

17. Fall Colors

18. Flow

19. Oniric #2

20. Waves (Another photo of Maya Lin's "Storm King Wavefield)

21. Continuation (all wall photos are of Andy Goldsworthy's "Storm King Wall")

22. Submergence

23. Bends #1

24. Bends #2

25. Games

26. Stones

27. Bends #3

28. Bends #4


Ok. That's it for now. Happy Birthday to me.


7 comments:

Colleen said...

They are all amazing. You have an incredible eye for nature. Beautiful.

Carly said...

These are all so beautiful. I especially love that mirrored fence. Glad you guys could get away and see some neat things.

Ben said...

People always use the word "breathtaking" to describe things that really aren't very impressive. These sculptures and installations are truly breathtaking and your photographic eye doesn't get in the way of that effect, I mean that in a good way. I want to go there, right now. Gracias por compartir.

Jared Blanco said...

Beautiful! You are very talented as a photographer! I don't know if I have a favorite. Maybe the impressionist shots? Did you take them like that or did you have to photoshop them to get the fuzzy images? Either way, they're awesome.

Mac said...

Thanks for the comments gentes. A trip to Storm King is totally worth it. We were only able to see 1/3 or less of the park so we're going to try to go back in the spring. We'll see. Jared, thanks and I don't have photoshop but I did play with the photo titled "Oniric #2" I just flipped the image and saturated the color a bit. The other 'fuzzy' pictures are that way because they are reflections (which is why I named them 'impressions': they reminded me of impressionist paintings of water features, etc.)

Sebastián Velásquez said...

They are all very good Mac, though my favorites are the first one and the mirror fence. Great job!!!

Nikki said...

Love ALL the photos. I busted up when I saw Willolili. Did she pick that name too? I love the reflections. The picture with Buddha's leg sticking out made me think of Paul Bunyan. It could have been Paul Bunyan standing up amongst the trees. I love the ones of the kids too because I can imagine how much fun they were having. My kids would love it there I'm sure. And last, I love the beautiful fall colors.
I just love looking at trees and I'm always trying to think of interesting ways to photograph them. You're so great at that.