Monday, November 17, 2008

Eden is a Place: Poetic Intertext 1: "Nothing Gold Can Stay"

"Nothing Gold Can Stay"
by Robert Frost

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
so dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Nothing Gold Can Stay:

Priscila and Sam

Lili
John
Convergence of Nature

6 comments:

the pachuco cross said...

so nothing gold can stay...what about those kids of yours???? looks pretty golden to me

Mac said...

The gold isn't the kids themselves but those moments like the long days of childhood that remain in memory like a perpetual aurora.

Ben said...

Memory, a perpetual aurora...I like that. I'm trying to take less photos and experience the things and people around me as the are becoming. But there are some photos that perhaps do not replace memories, but capture the poetry of the moment. I need to learn to take those photos.

Mac said...

Ben, I know what you mean about taking photos. I love to take photos but I feel like I can only do it when I'm willing to make picture taking part of the experience. If it gets in the way of enjoying the moment then I'd rather keep the image only in my memory. I'm also not a fan of those kinds of family photographs that are affected (especially the 'fog' filtering that seems to be gaining popularity again). I can only bring myself to change the photos post-snap when I want to unite the image on the screen with the image/feeling in my memory. At the very least I am admitting that I understand that the photograph is just as represtentative of the moment as are my memories (or are they?).

Robin said...

Stay gold pony boy! I like your poem Mac. I like you too.

Nikki said...

Great pictures Mac! I especially like the one of Priscila? on the beach in the distance.